Thursday, August 23, 2018 Wildfire update:
The fire on the ridge is now 168 hectares in size. It is a rank 2 (open flame) fire. There will be a RAP crew brushing along the hydro lines at the south flank and a 10 member crew concentrating their efforts on the north flank.
Current Priorities to the South:
- Protection of the main powerlines to the community;
- Possible sprinkler system around hydro lines, though water supply might be an issue; and
- Looking to send an aircraft in to look at the possibility of dropping fire retardant between the south flank and the hydro lines.
Current Priorities to the North:
- Excavator work to establish a fire guard; and
- Directing more water on the fire.
You can help to protect your home. According to the BC FireSmart Homeowner’s Manual:
“Wildfire can follow a path from a forest or grassland to your home. A wildfire moving from the tops of trees can be slowed if the trees are spaced out. It can be further slowed by flame-resistant plants and shrubs in your yard.”
What to do?
- Yard Spacing: Move combustible materials at least 10 metres from your home, such as firewood and stored fuel.
- Tree Spacing: Leave at least 3 metres between trees on your property.
- Prune Trees: Remove all tree branches within 2 metres of the ground.
Pick up your own copy of the FireSmart Homeowner’s Manual at the Post Office or Village Office.
View full PDF here: August 23 Wildfire Update.